F, #79, b. 22 September 1847, d. 12 October 1932
Martha Smith|b. 22 Sep 1847\nd. 12 Oct 1932|p79.htm|Edward Smith|b. c 1804\nd. 31 Jan 1887|p259.htm|Mary Dunk|b. c 1808\nd. 29 Jul 1884|p260.htm|||||||||||||
Martha LOGAN (nee SMITH)
- Address*: Before she died Martha Smith was living at 21 Ormond Grove, Toorak Gardens, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, ; prior to her death.3
- Birth*: She was born on 22 September 1847 at Updown Cottage, Great Betshanger, Kent, England, , Original name registered was Jemima, name changed to Martha after registration.4,5
- Memo*: Martha said she could remember being carried ashore at the age of 3 when they arrived in Austarlia.4
- Memo*: She lived in Port Pirie and it is thought that her brother was there also. It has also been sugested that she had a sister Lizzie in Port Pirrie, although Lizzie Smith has also been described as a niece of Martha. Merle Correll met Lizzie and thought her to be Martha's cousin.4
- Marriage*: She married John Logan, son of James Logan and Janet Allan, on 22 December 1864 at The dwelling house of Edward Smith, Murray Ranges (near Mount Pleasant), South Australia, Australia, ; They were married by Rev A.R. Phillips and the marriage was witnessed by Edward Smith & Ann Church of near Mount Brown. At the time of his wedding John was said to be an 'overseer on sheep station' and residing at North Rhine.1,6
- Married Name: Her married name was Martha Logan.1
- Death*: Martha Smith died on 12 October 1932 at Private Hospital, Wakefield Street, Adelaide, South Australia, , at age 85.4,7
- Burial*: She was buried at West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide, South Australia.3
- Obituary: Obituary - LOGAN - On the 12th October, at Private hospital, Wakefield Street, Martha, relict of John Logan, loving mother of Mrs. D. Filmer, Stansbury; Mrs M.E.A. Murray, Toorak Gardens; Mrs M. Bond, W.A; Mrs M. Williams, Aldinga; Mrs H. Prall, England; and Messres A.W and B. Logan of W.A; aged 86 years.4
Family: John Logan b. 10 August 1828, d. 25 September 1903
- Janet Logan+8 b. 23 Jun 1866, d. 19 Aug 1937
- William Edmund Logan9 b. 25 Aug 1867, d. 16 Oct 1867
- Mary Emily Alice Logan+9 b. 12 Dec 1868, d. 6 Jul 1961
- Margaret Violet Logan+10 b. 16 Jun 1871, d. 5 Apr 1928
- Martha Logan+10 b. 14 May 1873, d. 15 Dec 1930
- Allan John James Joseph Alexander Logan+11 b. 4 Aug 1875, d. 19 Dec 1953
- Wallace Edward Logan+12 b. 3 Jul 1877, d. 23 May 1938
- Nellie Blanche Logan+12 b. 16 Sep 1880, d. 1949
- Hilda Logan+12 b. 19 Dec 1882, d. 21 Dec 1970
- Leslie Bruce Logan12 b. 2 Oct 1884, d. b 8 Sep 1951
- Gwen Logan+12 b. 3 Jan 1896, d. 11 Sep 1987
- [S58] Copy marriage certificate of John LOGAN (78) and Martha SMITH (79), 22 Dec 1864 "unknown cd."
- [S161] South Australian Genealogy and Heraldry Society Inc Biographical Index of South Australians 1836 - 1885 "Page 1502."
- [S32] Letter, Lorraine Helen Logan to Mike KIRKE (1), dated May 1994.
- [S30] Letter, Mary Florence (MOLLY) Jago to Mike KIRKE (1), dated 12 Oct 1994, Page 7.
- [S225] Copy birth certificate of Martha Smith, 22 Sep 1847 "unknown cd."
- [S218] Marriage Registrations Index, South Australian Marriages Registrations 1842 to 1916, District: Ang ; Book/Page: 60/374 ; Symbol: S.
- [S228] Death Registrations Index, South Australian Death Registrations 1842 to 1915, District: Ade ; Book: 542 ; Page: 364; Symbol: H.
- [S30] Letter, Mary Florence (MOLLY) Jago to Mike KIRKE (1), dated 12 Oct 1994, Page 9.
- [S30] Letter, Mary Florence (MOLLY) Jago to Mike KIRKE (1), dated 12 Oct 1994, Page 10.
- [S30] Letter, Mary Florence (MOLLY) Jago to Mike KIRKE (1), dated 12 Oct 1994, Page 12.
- [S35] Typescript note by Leslie Arthur Logan "Page 2."
- [S30] Letter, Mary Florence (MOLLY) Jago to Mike KIRKE (1), dated 12 Oct 1994, Page 13.